In a message dated 1/24/2005 10:36:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
All,

Interesting debate.  I'm going to step back a little bit and
touch on what grain gives an image rather than worrying about
how it is created.

To my eye, grain increases contrast at a microscopic level,
increasing accutance and adding a "crunchy" texture to
smooth areas.  I think that the effect also smooths out
tonal gradients at a macrosopic level.  One way I like to use
this effect is to lower contrast at the macroscopic level
to render detail in shadows and highlights while adding
the punch that comes with the high accutance and crunchy
texture.

Now, grain can be created in an image in many ways.  First,
you can use an inherently grainy film.  You can also accentuate
grain through careful choice of exposure and film development
process (i.e., chemicals, temperature, and time).  You can also
add grain at the printing stage by using, for example, lith
or other alternative processes.  Finally, you can add or
accentuate grain in digital images in many different ways
via Photoshop.

It seems to me that there is little go be gained in arguing
about the merits of the method used to create an effect.
If I see an effect I like and want to use it in my own
work, does it matter what technique I use to get to my
desired result?  I'm much more interested in the results--
what does the effect do to the image?   Does it strengthen
it or merely create a distraction?

Thoughts?

--Mark
========
Not many. :-)

I really hadn't given grain a great deal of thought before (except in
thinking about paper). Don't know enough about photography or B&W. So not sure
about
contrast, etc.

But maybe grain is sometimes more intriguing to the eye. Engages it more than
a completely smooth, "cartoon" :-) image might. The eye does like having
something to do when viewing an image (like following diagonals/leading lines).

Was that a worth while thought?

Marnie aka Doe :-)