"But for the purpose of comparing digitally recorded images and images
recorded on film, everything else has to be as equal as possible". I
don't think that's true.
If you really want to compare digitally recorded images with film
recorded images, you'll have to use the method which will minimize the
information loss (it could be different in the 2 cases).

Alex Sarbu