Fra: Graywolf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 26. januar 2005 17:23
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: Digital portrait lens

I guess, I would like to know what folks here on the list consider a
portrait.
Because I have never considered just one lens to be adequate )especially for
small format images where cropping is not so nice).

This is what I consider proper for 35mm (I could easly get by with just the
focal length on either side):

Big heads;         135mm
Head shots:        100mm
Head and Shoulder:  85mm
Head and Torso:     70mm
3/4 shots:          50mm
Full:               35mm
Groups would be shot with the 35-50mm moving farther away for bigger groups.

Note how nicely a 35mm-100mm zoom fits in there.

The characteristic all of those have in common is they are used at about 5-6
feet which gives the expected perspective for most North Americans of
Northern
European extraction (Interaction distances very in other cultures). Intimate
portraits can be shot nicely from 3 feet or so. People shots from a distance
can
not, in my personal opinion, properly be called portraits.

Since this thread asked about digital portrait lenses, just move down one
focal
length for APS sized sensors. Once again, it is the distance that important,
just select the focal length that minimizes cropping. The old view camera
rule
of thumb (for head and torso shots) was for a focal length equal to the
short
side of the negative plus the long side of the negative; with 35mm that
would be
a 60mm lens, and with an istD it would be 40mm (much shorter than most folks
think they need.

So, as I asked, what do you consider a portrait?

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"