Nope, informal testing shows that the shutter speeds are completely
off.  The meter while it's a bit flaky, (the
lights don't steady down but bounce around a lot before if finds the
diode it should display), tests out to be
within 1/2 stop of the same scene metered with an LX or the *ist-D.  The
1/1000 speed is at least 2 stops too
slow the 1/60th is about 4 stops to fast the other fast speeds are all
over the place nothing consistent.  The tech
believes that it will no longer hold an adjustment.  He has a good
reputation so I'm giving him the benefit of doubt.
He is about the last local guy doing camera repair around here anyway,
everyone else sends their Pentax work to a regional
Authorized Pentax Repair Facility, who are, in my opinion, useless.  If
they can't unplug a module and replace it with
a new one they won't touch it.

Alan Chan wrote:

--- "Peter J. Alling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, today I got very bad news, one of my black MXen has been declared un-repairable. After it's second trip
to the repairman for related problems the shutter can no longer be adjusted. I bought it used about 4 years ago and
it spent a fare amount of it's life with me being kicked around on various trips and I guess it was just too much for it
to take. I've heard that the meters were the weak link so the shutter going was somewhat unexpected but I guess all
things must end.

If it is the meter which is unpredictable, the circuit could be replaced easily. However, if it was the shutter timing mechanisms, a fix would be difficult. :-(

=====
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan