It's so silly isn't it. I'll go out of my way not offend someone with words. But words have only one purpose and that's to communicate a meaning. If a word has a negative conotation (in some peoples minds) and another word or phrase is substituted to describe the same thing, then that substitute word or phrase will come to have the same conotation as the prior.

There are unpleasant things in this world and life, and words have been invented to describe them. Those words are "William" and "Robb". Just kidding... checking to see if he's paying attention.

Tom C.

From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Out Dated Color Neg
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:43:07 -0500

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:20:08 -0700, Tom C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I call people at work 'retards' all the time, under my breath. There's this
> one guy... it's the word that enters my brain on first sight.

Well, in all seriousness, I sometimes shake my head in amazement.  We
were told to stop saying "retarded", as it's demeaning.  So we then we
were supposed to say "developmentally delayed", or just "delayed".  Of
course delayed means that you don't get somewhere as quickly as might
be expected.  Retarded means slower.  Hmmmm...

And the problem with both euphemisms is that in each word there's an
implication that the afflicted person will eventually reach their
goal.  When one is mentally retarded or developmentally delayed or
whatever one wishes to call it, that goal will, sadly, never be
reached in the vast majority (if not all) cases.

My ex, a social worker, quite in tune with the ways of political
correctness, says that we should now say that retarded people are
"challenged", or (my favourite) "differently abled"  Well, sorry, but
the fact that one's intellectual capacity is diminished does ~not~
mean that other faculties are enhanced to compensate!  It seems to me
that it's often quite the contrary, that many who are retarded have
multiple physical ailments or even disabilities (not challenges!).

I could go on, but I really don't know what I'm "supposed" to call
those with such unfortunate afflictions, so I've recently been
thinking that going back to "retarded" may be the way to go.

Thanks.  I needed to get that off my chest...

<g>

-frank

-- "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson