Howdy Brian, if you take the lens off and face the front of
the camera:
At about the 1 o'clock position, inside the lens mount ring,
is a lever that comes flush with the surface of the lens
mount ring.
Rotate this lever clockwise (push down) with a fingernail
until it is fully down/clockwise.
Release the lever, it should quickly and freely return to
the CCW position.
This is the linkage that tells the camera where the lens
is set. (F-Stop)
Three things can happen, most common is the lubrication on
the lever getting "gummy" and slowing it's return.
It is also possible the lever is bent and rubbing on the
lens mount ring or the back of the lens, look for "bright"
marks, dead givaway.
Third is that the resistor that this lever moves is dirty,
this is unlikely give your description of the symptoms.

Hope This Helps
Don