I'll echo Cotty and say that the photographer was unwise to set up his
camera on a tripod.  Having worked in a museum where I sometimes had to
adjudicate on the permissibility of photography in what is after all a
public building, it mostly comes down to the impression of either amateurism
or professionalism that the photographer's equipment conveys.

You'll probably find that the city park involved is administered by some
sort of statutory authority, and is not quite the 'public domain' that the
street outside the gates is.  Sydney residents would be familiar with
similar restrictions on photography in the precincts of the Sydney Opera
House, to protect the building from uncontrolled commercial exploitation of
its image.  Similarly, Uluru (formerly Ayer's Rock) is not in the public
domain but is under traditional native ownership.  It would be unwise to
flaunt the professionalism of one's gear there, too.

I guess we shouldn't worry.  All we need say to the person in uniform is,
"This is a Pentax, and everybody knows that Pentax doesn't make professional
cameras."

regards,
Anthony Farr

<http://newurbanist.blogspot.com/2005/01/copyrighting-of-public-space.html>