Some time ago I posted a PAW of a dam in a local State Park using the SMC-Pentax 17mm f4.0 fisheye. The results were fairly good and I decided to see if I could replicate the shot with my new Vemar 12mm. I've decided to post the original and the new version just in case anyone is interested in comparing them. As a side note both required some cropping to center up the dam, I have a very hard time shooting curved horizons and keeping them straight. (Yes I know that doesn't make much sense but I can't think of any better way to describe it).

A few comments first. The film didn't scan as well as I would have hoped and I had a bit of trouble getting the white balance neutral, I wasn't really able to and I've left it with a pinkish cast. The *ist-D rendition seems to be a bit more neutral. The other differences stem mostly from the lenses, the SMC Pentax is quite a bit sharper, and the image was captured at a higher shutter speed with a wider aperture, to get even close to the same sharpness from the Vemer I had to use it's minimum aperture which necessitated a somewhat longer shutter speed. Over all the softer rendition of the digital shot isn't particularly objectionable in this case. Both underwent some post processing to minimize "noise" and a touch of USM are about the only actions taken, except for the attempt at color balance.

The Original:
http://www.mindspring.com/~pjalling/PESO_--_CircWater.html

Technical information:
Pentax LX @ 1/30sec  [Kodak ISO 400 Gold]
SMC-Pentax 17mm f4.0 @ f8.0.

Revisited:
http://www.mindspring.com/~pjalling/PESO_--_CircWaterRev.html

Technical information:
Pentax *ist-D ISO 400 @ 0.3sec
Vemar 12mm f8.0 @ f16.

At f16 the Color fringing is much less noticeable on the Vemar.

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke