----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 19, 2001 7:23 PM
Subject: Chromogenic B&W Film

> Does anyone know why all the chromogenic B&W film on the
market is
> 400 speed?
> Why not some other speed?

I suspect the emulsion technology is considered good enough that
a slower speed isn't needed, the chromogenics were originally
marketed to the zoom lens crowd, so the extra film speed is a
bonus, and Ilford has been marketing XP-1/XP-2 for the past 20
years as a 400 iso, so anything slower would likely be risking
being viewed as a step backwards.
FWIW, I think XP-2 is Crap with a capital "C".
I did a microscope analysis of the grain of normally processed
T400CN and Ilford PanF+ which had been processed in Rodinal. The
chromogenic had much finer grain, though it wasn't anywhere near
as sharp.
William Robb