----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Dalal"
Subject: Re: Chromogenic B&W Film

> William Robb:
>
> >FWIW, I think XP-2 is Crap with a capital "C".
> >I did a microscope analysis of the grain of normally
processed
> >T400CN and Ilford PanF+ which had been processed in Rodinal.
The
> >chromogenic had much finer grain, though it wasn't anywhere
near
> >as sharp.
>
> A few points:
> 1) I'm not sure how putting a 400 ISO chromogenic film against
a 50 ISO B&W
> film souped in one of the highest accutance developers is a
fair comparison.

It did compare favourably. The analysis was an after the fact
thing. I had done a model shoot with PanF+, and decided to test
a roll of the T400CN during the shoot. When I was printing up
the images from the T400CN, I was quite amazed at how fine the
grain was, so I decided to have a look through the microscope. I
was quite impressed by how fine the grain was: nearly non
existent.

> 2) Sharpness isn't the only measure of a film.

Boy, you are preaching to the converted on this one. I like a
less than sharp film for portraiture, especially with medium
format. It gives a much smoother fleash tone.

> 3) Each film has its own use. I don't think XP-2 is suited to
landscape,
> street, or still-life. But it makes a pretty darn good
portrait film. I've
> used it for model shots and I've been extremely pleased with
it in that
> regard. Has a really nice, smooth look to it that I think is
great for skin
> tone. It prints well and most importantly, scans better than
any other B&W
> film I've worked with. It allows me to digitally proof so I
can decide what
> frames I'll take to the darkroom to print.

I do like XP-2 for portraiture, it has a very nice smooth skin
tone and excellent gradation. The downside of it is how very
soft the emulsion is. It is extremely easy to damage during
handling. This, to me is a fatal flaw. While I am a very careful
film handler, accidents do happen. With XP-2 I cannot use the
negatrans on my enlarger. This is the only film that has ever
been damaged by my negatrans. If Ilford would fix this, it would
be an extremely good film, though not for landscapes, as you
have pointed out.

> So no, I don't think it's crap : )

Wanna fight about it?
William Robb