Hello John,

I have gone down that road in the long past and finally concluded that
the best approach is to use a video editing program that has a
timeline.  The video editors handle stills as well as video.  You drop
your images on the timeline and drop the music track down.  Adjust
duration of slides that you want and then have the editor create a DVD
- playable on most any DVD player.  On top of that, you have something
to give the viewers that doesn't require a computer or special
software, etc.

The one I use most of the time is Ulead Video Studio - currently on
version 8.  Adobe Premiere Elements is also pretty good (more buggy
for me).

There is a little more work involved this way, but the productions can
look much more professional.

--
Best regards,
Bruce