Most people prefer the greater reach of the longer lens.

If cost is a consideration, go for the M 100mm f4. If not, the F/FA 100mm f2.8 is faster, possibly a fraction sharper, and the AF, whilst pointless for macro, is useful if using the lens for non-macro purposes on an AF camera.

The f2.8 is bigger than, and nearly twice the weight of, the f4.

I have both, don't ask me why, and can't decide which to get rid of. So, following Robb's doctrine, I'll probably keep both.

John