-----Original Message-----
    From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    --- John Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    > But you're still basing your agument on the (apparently
    unwarranted)
    > premise that the *ist-DS *does* disable TTL flash for all
    non-AF lenses.
    > According to other posters here, that simply isn't the case.

    Right. The DS body's built-in flash does ONLY P-TTL automation,
    so if a lens is fitted that doesn't provide the aperture
    information, it simply goes to a full output, simple manual
    flash. Distance means nothing at all.  P-TTL works fine with A
    series manual focus lenses when set to the A position on the
    aperture ring. TTL (as opposed to P-TTL) is fully supported with
    the dedicated external flash units.

    > As I said, people are far too fast to accuse Pentax of
    deliberately
    > disabling bodies for the sole purpose of selling new lenses.

    They're all conspiracy theorists. ;-)

    Godfrey