Actually the dogs that hunters run the fox with are not the ones that kill the fox. When the fox goes to ground a couple of terriers are sent into the hole to get it. Some hunt clubs like many in the US do not even kill foxes they just count the hunt over when he goes to ground the first rider on the scene is given credit for the kill. In England where foxes are an expensive nuisance to the small farms they have over there they often (I understand) kill the fox.

However I would guess the limit to two dogs is for the terriers and not the
hounds.

And really it is like most of these things a law against having fun pushed for by those who believe that that is a sin against their misery. Those kinds of folks do not care about foxes, deer, etc. they just do not want to see anyone having a good time, it makes them feel bad (worse than usual).

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Peter J. Alling wrote:
He could try to arrest all of the scofflaws, but he'd soon run out of handcuffs.

Jim Hemenway wrote:

I like this bunch of photos... well done along with an interesting story.

I'm unclear on the concept though. If using more than two dogs is now illegal, why are there so many. And, why isn't the policeman doing something about it other than what appears to be traffic control?

Jim

Cotty wrote:

Had the chance to get out this morning and do some shooting for a change.
I took my 85 1.4 with me but sadly it didn't get an outing. I did however
use my new Manfrotto monopod - as an aerial camera mount. I need to
fabricate an angled plate, but it works great.

<http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/photoessays/essays/huntban.html>

Best,