>> There do seem to be small (but not insignificant) optical improvements
>> for the A (and, it would be assumed, the FA) over the M, but they are
>> still fairly small differences.  And, for some users, they might be
>> small enough that the build quality and focus feel of the M over the A
>> (and especially the FA) might be more significant.

> I wouldn't call them improvements - they are just slightly different.
> Yes, you get more sharpness with the "A" version, but at the expense of
> the bokeh. The M50/1.4 does have absolutely the best bokeh I've ever
> seen. It's hard to judge from the web picture, anyway I've tried to
> support my opinion:

I do see what you're saying, Peter, and I also do (basically) agree
(although my personal choice is slightly different).

I do not think that Pentax has ever made a bad 50/1.4 (and this certainly
was true back in the screwmount days, and it is still true in the era of
"disappearing" FA 50/1.4's).  My point is just that the differences between
Pentax 50/1.4's may be quite subtle (and sometimes not so subtle - the need
for AF, for example, is not a "subtle" need - <g>).  So, you really like
the M, while I really like the A (which also has very nice bokeh, in my
opinion, is a wee bit sharper overall than the M, and has the 'A' contacts
that make for simpler use on an eventual *ist DSLR), etc.

I've owned a number of 50's over time, and I've settled on the A 50/1.4
(and the much less frequently used A 50/1.2) as my 50mm "keepers".  (I've
got a few 50/1.7's and 50/2's still kicking around, but that's only because
I just haven't gotten rid of 'em.)  (I also have a K 55/1.8, too, I guess.)

Fred