The desktop acts as a router and supports ip forwarding, or aliasing, I'm never sure which.

Anders Hultman wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, John Francis wrote:

Doesn't fit the symptoms.

1)  She doesn't have a router

2) The cable modem is working just fine, as she can
get to the internet on her primary (desktop) machine.

Ok, but how is the laptop connected to the Internet then? Is it connected at the same time as the desktop machine, and if so, how? Or does she disconnect one to connect the other?

anders
http://anders.hultman.nu/
med dagens bild och allt!

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke