To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: AW: Manual Focus Pentax Glass on istD

Juan Buhler mused:

I don't have an LX, but love the viewfinder in my MXs.

I wonder how much would a DSLR with a viewfinder that is as bright and
big as that cost?

MX: 0.97 magnification, 95% coverage.

ME Super:  0.95 magnification, 92% coverage.

*ist-D:    0.95 magnification, 95% coverage.

(all magnification figures are with a 50mm lens)

So the *ist-D is pretty close to an M-body as the viewfinder goes.

It's not as large, of course:  you're only going to see the
cropped image corresponding to the smaller APS-C sensor.

I think the laws of physics would prevent an enlarged view
of that central portion being as bright as the MX viewfinder,
so you're not going to see a full frame view from an APS-C
DSLR that's as bright as the MX, and subtends the same angle
of view at your eye; you'd need a "full-frame" DSLR for that.

That aside, I doubt if you'd see it, anyway; I can't find the
magnification of the Nikon F6, but the Canon EOS-1V is only 72%
(just a little better than the 70% of the 1Ds Mark II). There's
a lot more in-viewfinder information than there was in the MX.