A friend of mine had a similar issue with his Canon 10D. His
manually focused exposures were never quite on the money, but AF
exposures were bang on target. After a suitable and similar
round of measurebating, he concluded that the focusing screen
was in need of shimming ... It was representing a focus plane
some small fraction of a millimeter off from where the sensor
was. Autofocus worked fine because it evaluates focusing
distance through a completely different set of optics and
parameters than manual focus.

He had his camera adjusted by Canon and now it focuses
precisely, both in MF and AF. I believe they shimmed the
focusing screen.

Godfrey

--- "Gonz" wrote:
> I need some help with my *istD.  For the longest time, I've
been
> having problems with my pics being quite soft wide open.  I
> thought that it was just because the lens was wide open.  I
have
> alot of manual focus lenses, which I use often.  The problem
> showed up mainly with them, so I went back to look at some of
the
> pics more carefully, and I noticed a pretty consistent
pattern.
> There were areas of sharpness alright, but not where I wanted
> them to be.  I was consistently back-focusing.  So I did some
> tests.  I mounted my FA* 85 1.4 on the camera, set it on a
> tripod, and proceded to make some careful experiments to see
if I
> could put the blame where it belonged, on me or the camera.
>
> The setup was your typical measurebating focus test setup. I
had
> a ruler at an angle with a target off to the side of it where
> focused. I took pictures with and without autofocus.  The
result:
>  no matter how carefully I manually focused, the autofocus was
> always right on the money, and I always back focused.  I
adjusted
> the diopter after autofocusing to see if I could match the
> camera's focus point, took my glasses off, put my glasses on,
> danced around the camera, but no matter, I always
back-focused.
> What is going on here?  Doesnt the autofocus see the same
thing I
> do?  Or is something mal-adjusted somewhere?  When I look
through