Hi Shel,

Paul covered the original compacts very thoroughly. If you are looking for
something of more recent vintage you might want to check out some of these
(all feature exp. compensation, many have adj. diopters, spot metering, and
metal bodies):

Ricoh GR1s, 28mm (Camera Traders Ltd. has lowest US $, B&H has specs)

Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 Zoom, 38-120mm

Contax T3, 35mm Zeiss Sonnar T*
Contax Tvs III, 30-60mm Zeiss T* Vario Sonnar

Fuji DL Super Mini Zoom, 28-56mm

Konica LEXIO-70 Zoom, 28-70mm

Leica C1 Zoom, 38-105mm Vario-Elmar
Leica Minilux, 40mm Summarit
Leica Minilux Zoom, 35-70mm Vario-Elmar
Leica Z2X Zoom, 35-70mm Vario-Elmar

Minolta TC-1, 28mm

Rollei Prego 115 Zoom, 38-115mm
Rollei QZ35(all versions)

Unfortunately, no personal experience with any of them. Too bad Pentax
doesn't come out with a fast 50mm (or a 43mm) P&S with exposure comp., Av
Tv and bracketing, as it looks like a cushy niche.

Have fun,
Dan Scott
[EMAIL PROTECTED]