Hi,

well, my remark was addressed to cheap 3rd party lenses vs. Pentax ones. I don't count all of 3rd party products bad (having couple of Sigmas myself and pretty happy with 'em), but my experience shows that Pentax lenses have been generally better. Coatings, build quality, feel...or am I wrong?

BTW, that zoom should be optically the same as F and FA 35-80 f4-5.6 versions. I think, that lens shouldn't be total crap if they didn't changed optical build for later series.

BR, Margus

Fred wrote:

it's quite compact / light and SMC Pentax lens after all, not some Sigma
or Tokina, right?

I'm not familiar with that particular Pentax zoom, Margus, but your "not some Sigma or Tokina" comment got my attention - there ~are~ some good Tokina zooms, you know - <g> - (in the "normal range" zoom, the ATX 35-70/2.8 comes to mind, for example).

If the A 35-80/4-5.6 doesn't work out for you, you might keep your eyes
open for an A 35-70/4, which is also a neat (and compact) "normal range"
zoom, too, with a very good macro function.

Fred