IQuoting Tan and Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hey guys,
>
> Completely off topic here but in light of the recent monitor discussion, I
> too have  a monitor problem.  For some reason, and only at night time, the
> display on my monitor does this funny flickering, wobbly thing.  I can
> continue to work on it but it kinda makes me motion sick. lol.
>
> Anyways, it never gets turned off, but ONLY does it at night, which I
> think
> is a very strange phenomena, I mean how can a CRT monitor tell the time?!
>
> I'm really wondering if it is time to take the plunge into the world of
> LCD
> screens, but even through the discussion you guys have been having, I am
> still seeing the benefits of staying "old school".  Suggestions gratefully
> accepted...
>
> :)

I'm probably going to regret commenting here, since I'm not a scientific
expert on monitors and the listmembers who are will probably make me feel
stupid pretty soon, but ...

First suggestion is that maybe the darn thing does flicker all the time but
you only notice it at night.

Secondly, I recently noticed that the monitor on my better-half's computer
was flickering obnoxiously. (Although he was using it a lot, he had not
noticed this himself. He was however getting lots of headaches. I suspect a
connection.) So anyway we went shopping for monitors and ended up buying a
nice new 19" LCD.
With my only previous experience of LCD monitors being my otherwise wonderful
notebook, whose screen's apparent contrast and colour balance changes
drastically with a slight shift in the angle from which I view it, I was
awfully sceptical of LCDs. I was amazed to discover that the monitors
available in the stores didn't have this problem to anything like the degree
that the one in my notebook does, and in fact I can't see ANY sign of that
effect in the one I eventually recommended that he buy.
We haven't done any serious photo editing on the new monitor (Samsung
Syncmaster 912n, in case you care) so we've no reason to enter into issues of
critical calibration. Admittedly just talking about eyeball comparison,
nothing with scientific instruments, the picture quality looks fantastic to
me. If I were going to replace my monitor, I would certainly start with this
one and check closely into whether there was a valid reason NOT to buy it.

ERNR