On 9 Mar 2005 at 11:42, Bob Blakely wrote:

> Ok, Robby boy, we have a building with an intricate antenna structure atop the
> mechanical penthouse near my house. Using some of my favorite B&W, I'll shoot
> it
> vertical frame with the shift at max extension, vertical film plane (proper
> correction), and with the camera placed such that the antenna structure is at
> the very top of the frame. I'll then set the lens for zero correction and tilt
> the camera up to get, as best as possible, the same view. I'll then have the
> local pro shop process and digitize the images (from my experience, this will
> be
> about a 30 mb raw  file). After correcting the distorted image in PhotoShop.
> I'll crop to the antenna structure. Perhaps, you're right and I'll see little
> if
> any difference in the rendering of the structure's intricate  vertical
> elements.
> Ya think?

It would be an interesting venture, however if I were that concerned with
detail I'd probably have shot it with my MF gear (non-PC) lens and then cropped
it out of the big frame (after scanning it at 4000DPI of course) :-)

For every day images I find the convenience and quality of the digital process
to be acceptable. I can apply the process to an image shot with any lens I own
and I can produce *ist D based prints up to 30x45cm with very acceptable corner
detail. I'll happily send you a perspective corrected *ist D based print if you
have doubts.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998