I hestitate to attribute any decision made by Pentax to good planning :-)

While it does allow for easy expansion to 14-bit or even 16-bit values,
I suspect it comes as a side effect of using an extended TIFF file as
the basis of their RAW file format.  That means they end up using what
TIFF provides for value storage, and TIFF is a byte-oriented format.

Graywolf mused: