[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 14.03.05 15:04:

> Canon makes a whack of cash on their full frame DLSR because no one else
> makes a full frame DLSR currently, and, the type of people that shoot a
> full frame dlsr (because they can afford it) are willing to pay the bucks
> for one.
What about two Kodaks DCS-14 N and C (with Nikon and Canon mount
respectively)? They are FF and are not produced by Canon as one might guess
;-)

> To me, that's simple economics - it's what the market will bear currently
> and as such they can make that amount of money on the camera.
>
> No matter how many people clamour; until someone else (i.e. Pentax or Nikon
> are probably the closest since Minolta's DLSR was only just released) can
> release another full frame DLSR, Canon will continue to make the big bucks
> off of theirs since it's "the only game in town".
Not the only. See above.
I think the problem with FF is that it is inteneded for professionals only.
As such it is produced in small quantities and that won't help in FF's price
drop anytime soon. Seeing rising popularity of APS-C size sensor based DSLRs
it is almost clear that this smaller factor will be the most popular - just
as 35 mm film became before II WW... FF will be more affordable but still a
niche product. It will be rather like every film format bigger than 35 mm
became - affordable, especially second hand, but not popular and much more
expensive than its smaller cousin.

--
Balance is the ultimate good...

Best Regards