On Mar 14, 2005, at 7:30 AM, keller.schaefer wrote:

I have read this (very positive) review of the Sigma 12-24 zoom

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Reviews/a_Sigma_12-24_f4.5-5.6/ a_Sigma_EX_12-24_f4.5-5.6.html
and I wonder if anybody here has tried this lens?

Interesting that you bring this up this morning ... I was out on my walk this morning with the DA14/2.8.

The review was very positive in tone, but reading it I get the impression that the Sigma performs best when well stopped down, and that it's performance on 24x36mm format left something to be desired. I doubt it's any real match for the quality of the DA14 at f/2.8 (quite good) or f/4-5.6 (excellent), and it's quite a bit bigger and heavier. The flexibility of the zoom range is useful, I guess, but I'll take the lighter, better resolving, faster DA14mm on the *ist DS.

Godfrey