Thanks, Cotty ... then, it seems (at least for me and for much of what I
do) a zoom is not a replacement for primes.

This far the only zoom I've been happy with is the M24~35/3.5, but it's
range is so small using it is more like adjusting framing than actually
zooming.

I hear what you're saying about using the zoom as a tele or long focus
lens.  The cat pic graphically answered my question.  Perfect.
This also answers a question about comparative focal lengths on a film and
digi SLR.  Using the 18mm on Bruce's istD didn't seem to give the same view
as when using a 28mm on a film body.  While the AOV may have been similar,
there seemed to be a different perspective.

Shel