--- Village Idiot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What are the tools and steps needed for me to clean this lens properly?

Usually dust gets inside between the front and the rear element group, the space
where the aperture blades is. You can get there from the front or from the rear.
>From the front, you need to unscrew the retaining ring (#1), 3 screws (#2) and
>then
the front element group itself (#3). Use a rubber blower to blow off the dust
and
job done.
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan/image/41193715.jpg
2 things you need are low strength threadlock (threebond 1401) for the 3 screws
(#2)
and the proper lens wrench. The retaining ring itself doesn't require
threadlock or
you won't be able to get it off again in the future.
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan/image/41194481.jpg
To work from the rear, you only need the wrench to remove the rear element
group.
However, due to the tight working space, it requires more skill to work
properly w/o
leaving tool marks. A piece of rubber be used instead of the wrench depends on
the
situation in both cases.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan