First, a picture of a cat inside a church made of LEGO...

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/PreciousInChurch08.jpg

ZX-5n, 50mm/1.4, Kodak Portra 800.

There are other pictures on that page I'd like help with (warning -
there are lots of pictures)...

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction

The lighting isn't good on most, and a few are digital, but most were
shot with my ZX-5n and Zx-10 on Portra 800 under one or two photolamps,
or natural light.

The ones I'd like input on are the ones that contain lots of red. They
lack detail at any exposure, and metering exposure is unpredictable,
even with my handheld incident light meter. Any suggestions?

I thought Portra 800, being somewhat low-contrast, would work well on
LEGO. Is it possible that the very simple colors are screwing up the
lab prints?

The following shots are the digital ones, and I'm not looking for
comment on them (but certainly wouldn't object)...

The crucifix, alter, pulpit and glass walls behind them
The two shots of the pulpit that follow
The exterior wall shot that follows the 2 of the pulpit
The lady sitting at the organ

The rest are 35mm, lab-printed 4x6's.

Thanks,
Amy