Tiger Moses wrote:
> Bounce yourflash off a nearby wall or FLASH through a sheet
> you need to soften the lighting

Thanks for the suggestions. The lighting differs according to
circumstance and timing, but some of them have what I thought was
nearly ideal lighting conditions.

This shot was taken with with sunlight coming through a door to the
left (a balcony roof prevents sunlight from shining directly into the
room).

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/Overall01.jpg

This one was taken under similar conditions (sunlight now more to the
rear), with the addition of a photolamp bounced off the ceiling.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/PreciousOnBalcony02.jpg

This one was taken under indirect sunlight at 45 degrees to the surface
of the object.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/Mosaic02.jpg

This one was taken moments later. The sunlight is partially blocked by
the shape of the LEGO walls.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/wall01.jpg

This one was taken with two photolamps bounced off the ceiling.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/wall02.jpg

This one was taken with rainy-day light coming through the door facing
the camera and two photolamps bounced off the ceiling.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/wall03.jpg

This one was taken with an un-directed, diffused photolamp behind the
camera, and another photolamp bounced off the ceiling.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/restroom01.jpg

And this was taken with natural light only.

http://www.amyhughes.org/lego/church/construction/PreciousInChurch08.jpg

All but the cat-on-balcony shot were shot on a tripod, and I have
at least a couple different exposures of each. I'm not happy with the
way the red bricks photographed in any of them. The only detail I'm
getting is the contrast of shadows, and the occaisional lucky just-at-
the-right-angle reflection. I suspect I'll have the same problem with
the white when I pay more attention to it. LEGO is just too darn
reflective, and there is great contrast in the few, basic colors.

I'd really like to get the natural-light shots to work well because
I'm going to be photographing this church from the inside, with the
roof on. I'll have sunlight coming from the wall behind the altar. I
can bounce photolamps through the side windows, but I only have a few
feet clearance on either side of the church. It's on a 5 1/2' x 7'
table in my living room. I'd really like the wall with the organ to
photograph well (it faces the windows behind the altar) because it's
the highlight of the church and is the most interesting LEGO
construction in it, but I can't get that textured wall to show detail.
It's also difficult to tell the organ is made of round pieces, and not
just a mosaic on the wall.

Amy