Thanks John.
Maybe I should take the MX into the shop and shoot some pics
with it and see for myself. Although no-one has claimed the
lens as a paragon of iamging virtue, no-one has condemned it
either. For the versatility it seems to offer it might be a
good buy. It is new and priced the same as a secondhand
Tamron 24/2.5 (later version with large front element) and
a bit more than the earlier version of the same Tamron.

I really just wanted a 24/2.8 of decent quality, but they
seem quite thin on the ground in K mount.

--
Peter Williams