On 3 Apr 2005 at 23:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Rod Opined:
> >
> > CA is visible to me and the the zoom appears pretty poor compared to the
> > A20,
>
> Uh, the A20 wide open created nothing but useless mush. And it was only
> mediocre
> at the other stops. As far as CA is concerned, I can't see it, Herb can't see
> it. It must not be very extreme, or perhaps it's a function of the monitors.

It's pretty plain to me on any of my monitors, CRT and TFT, I suspect that the
comments in this thread are a good indication of why there are often such
contradicting views expressed about the performance of particular lenses. It
all comes down to different perceptions, to me the CA is irritating, it's
something that I see and I know becomes apparent in large prints.

For my direct visual analysis of the image presented on Josteins page I see the
A20 at 2.8 as being low contrast not mushy, stopped down to f4 I expect it
would be as contrasty as the DA. The DA is can see exhibits constant CA
regardless of the shooting aperture, I'm talking about the obvious purple
fringe. The A20 has some CA but it's pretty easy to eliminate with PS CS RAW.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998