Temp and agitation are not as critical in printmaking, but I like to
maintain those things as precisely as possible.  The truth is, when
printing, a lot of time my prints are physically out of the developer as i
work on small areas with Q-tips and "hot" developer, massaging certain
areas, and so on.  But I prefer all the critical processes to be
standardized as a reference point, as a point of beginning.  However, I
believe that temp and agitation, as well as time, should be standardized in
order to establish the basic print.  Once that's known, it's easier (for
me) to move on to the finer aspects of print making.

As for varying the look significantly, well, it is a matter of degree,
wouldn't you say.  We're talking about repeatability here, and so, to get
two or more prints as close to identical as possible I've always worked at
keeping the process itself as close to identical as possible for each print
made.

Shel