Godfrey, this was what I stated -

> To me the point is that the transparency is the first (and for me the
> last) generation of the image as I saw it & captured it, whereas the
> print & digital RAW are starting points.

I stand behind that statement. A slide is the first generation and yes given
the other variables you mentioned, it can be seen differently. But the fact
remains it is the first generation. A print from a negative is second
generation and includes its own set of variables (neg development, printing
process, paper printed on, light viewed under etc). An unaltered RAW file could
be first generation. Within the limitations of jpeg, it too, unaltered could be
first generation. It's the "rendering" that removes the digital images from
first generation.

When I choose the transparancy film (Velvia vs ?) & developing process, I'm
basically saying this is the way I want this scene to be recorded in the first
place. (I've used the same film and processing outfit for the last 6 to 7
years).

I have a feeling the two camps in this issue will not be changing sides.

Kenneth Waller