unsubscribe

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:06 PM
Subject: pentax-discuss-d Digest V05 #748

------------------------------

pentax-discuss-d Digest Volume 05 : Issue 748

Today's Topics:
Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me? [ David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Autofocus Extension Tubes Coming [ Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: GESO - California Poppies [ Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: Missing... [ Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: Pentax ist DS shutter. [ Johan Uiterwijk Winkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
RE: Pentax ist DS shutter. [ "Don Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: How do you keep track of exposed [ Rick Womer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me? [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: Missing... [ "Peter J. Alling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: How do you keep track of exposed [ Keith Whaley <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
First Macro Stuff [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: How do you keep track of exposed [ "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: Pos vs neg grain [ Jack Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: Missing... [ "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: PESO: Tree Cuddles Lamppost [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: PESO: After School in Oxfordshir [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: Yellow Rumped Warbler [ "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: PESO - Angel Hair [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: PESO: Shy smile [ Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me? [ "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me? [ Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me? [ Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
Re: inside Pentax *ist DS ... [ Jim Apilado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: inside Pentax *ist DS ... [ Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
Re: Missing... [ Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 23:48:07 +0800
From: David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO - Are you talkin' to me?

WOW.

That's a great shot Bruce. I love the red in it's wings.

Dave S

On Apr 9, 2005 11:40 PM, Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This was taken on one of my morning walks.

Pentax *istD, Tokina AT-X SD 400/5.6
ISO 400, 1/750 sec @ f/6.7, handheld, manual focus

http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/bkd_1673.htm

Comments welcome

--
Best regards,
Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:33:55 -0600
From: Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pdml <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Autofocus Extension Tubes Coming

I believe this was raised here recently. As of today, the only ones
autofocus ones available for Pentax are Kenko's 12 and 25 mm. tubes,
sold individually.

I read this morning in the May issue of Popular Photography that Kenko
is bringing out new sets of tubes--the usual set of three, in 12, 20,
and 36 mm. lengths. These will supposedly support Pentax AF.

They will cost--$219 U.S. I don't know if that's MSRP or street price.
So far they are not on the THK web site. But watch for this if interested.

Joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:39:59 -0600
From: Joseph Tainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pdml <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: GESO - California Poppies

Thanks Joe.  I find that the longer focal lengths really help isolate
the subject better.

-----

Bruce, were the poppy photos also taken with the Tokina 400?

jof

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:47:21 +0100
From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "pentax list" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Missing...

On 9/4/05, Peter J. Alling, discombobulated, unleashed:

In case anyone wonders why I haven't been on the list of late, I had a
paying gig for most of the last two weeks that kept me
busy and out of touch, then my Win2K server decided to go tits up.
(Near as I can tell the mother board is completely fried).
Since it was the only machine that could be connected to the internet,
for various technical reasons, I was SOL.  I've reconfigured
and I'm now off to find a replacement MB.   I've got 5588 messages in my
mailbox...

You were gone........?

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| http://www.cottysnaps.com _____________________________

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:57:59 +0200
From: Johan Uiterwijk Winkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Pentax ist DS shutter.

Cotty wrote:

On 9/4/05, Johan Uiterwijk Winkel, discombobulated, unleashed:

But when I do, I'll send them. (Ofcource, the photo's are then taken
with a low budget digicam....)

Do you mind if I ask why you are taking your Ds apart?

No ...

For some reason, everything I have is taken apart by me. It can take one year, it can take much longer (in case of the ist ds I hope it will take very long.) Most of the time because it's broken.

So, I hope it will take a long time before it happends, and at that time
Pentax has hopefully released another generation of digital bodies, so
the photo's of this one won't be so interesting anymore.

Let's find a screwdriver ;-)

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:05:34 -0500
From: "Don Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Sounds like the same disease I have.
Curiousititis. ;-)

Don (The succinct and curious)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rick Womer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: How do you keep track of exposed film?

I've found that out about the permanent markers.

The lab I've been using is mail-order, and several
rolls go into one bag.  Their service has generally
been good, and the quality of the processing is
excellent.  Service has been a bit off lately, I
suspect because the volume of E6 processing is
dropping.

Rick

--- Alin Flaider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Rick,

  I found that the fixing bath is aggressive enough
to delete any
  "permanent" marker. If lab's cooperation is not an
option I suppose
  you can always mechanically stamp your rolls by
punching some holes.
  Just make sure you it's not on the first 5 cm
which the lab usually
  cuts.
  BTW, do you send the rolls by mail or do you
deliver it yourself?
  Personal contact makes people more responsible.

  Servus,  Alin

Rick wrote:
RW> The problem:  I send my slide film out for
processing
RW> (to The Slideprinter) about 5 rolls at a time.
RW> number the rolls, and ask the lab to note the
roll
RW> numbers on the slide boxes.  Sometimes that
happens,
RW> and sometimes not.  Last year I came back from a
trip
RW> with 15 exposed rolls, and the boxes came back
with no
RW> numbers, which was a real pain.

RW> Soooo...how do others keep track of rolls
through the
RW> lab?  Is there some way to quickly and indelibly
mark
RW> the leader?

RW> Don't anyone bother to tell me to switch to an
MZ-S or

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:32:10 +0200
From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

Hi!

This was taken on one of my morning walks.

Pentax *istD, Tokina AT-X SD 400/5.6
ISO 400, 1/750 sec @ f/6.7, handheld, manual focus

http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/bkd_1673.htm

To me the blue-red-black color makes it work. Tiny critter...

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:34:02 -0400
From: "Peter J. Alling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

Cotty wrote:

On 9/4/05, Peter J. Alling, discombobulated, unleashed:

In case anyone wonders why I haven't been on the list of late, I had a
paying gig for most of the last two weeks that kept me
busy and out of touch, then my Win2K server decided to go tits up.
(Near as I can tell the mother board is completely fried).
Since it was the only machine that could be connected to the internet,
for various technical reasons, I was SOL.  I've reconfigured
and I'm now off to find a replacement MB.   I've got 5588 messages in my
mailbox...

You were gone........?

I'd actually be amazed if anyone noticed...

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| http://www.cottysnaps.com _____________________________

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war.
During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:37:09 -0700
From: Keith Whaley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

I'd have thought the solution was simpler than that.
Carry around a small notepad with you, with numbers 1 thru "however many
rolls you're carrying that day" inked in thick black felt pen, and let
the first frame of each roll be shot of it's own sequential roll
number, at minimum focus distance. No need to touch the film leader itself.

keith whaley

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:43:51 +0200
From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: First Macro Stuff

Hi!

Well, the poppies are still blooming. Galia so much wanted to have a
photo of ladybug (if you see the pic and I am mistaken in English,
please correct me)... So I took my tripod, attached a 2x matching
converter to my Tamron 90/2.5 SP and headed to the field...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boris71/8902760/

Also, while on the field, we've been attacked by the rather known flying
objects... Though I cannot identify these objects with any degree of
certainty...

This time, my Tamron 90/2.5 SP was without the converter...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boris71/8902759/

Comments are welcome, as usual.

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:42:27 -0400
From: "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Rick,
I can highly recommend this outfit, all he does is slides. Several outdoor
pros, among others use him.
The owner/operator is Michael Lussier, Phone # (906) 632-1850. AgX Imaging,
228 West 14th Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan 49783.

Kenneth Waller
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jack Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Pos vs neg grain

Alin,
Useful and much appreciated information. Thanks!
Pos and neg RMS factors relate to two different
scales. The actual conversion factor escapes me at the
moment. If I should locate it, I'll put up on list.
This isn't to say that the total of all other
information you furnished isn't exactly right. Just
wanted to make the minor point.

Jack

--- Alin Flaider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jack,

  In absolute terms, the negative emulsions have
finer grain than
  positive. Indeed, Agfa's best negative, Portrait
160 with it's
  granularity of RMS 3.5 is obviously better than
the RMS 10 of their
  best positive - RSX 50. The difference maintains
more or less at all
  other manufacturers.
  In real world though, the thicker layers of the
positive emulsion
  accounts for higher densities that translate to
finer gradations in all
  three colour channels. This comes at the expense
of the reduced
  exposure range compared to the negative emulsion,
but given a
  subject whose exposure range is covered by the
positive emulsion
  latitude, the positive delivers a richer image
than the negative and
  the continuity of tones hide its higher
granulation giving the
  overall better appearance.
  In the digital era, this becomes even more obvious
with the post
  processing level of the scanned image: the lack of
tones of the
  negative emulsion image is immediately apparent as
noise, sometimes
  after as little as level adjustment and curve
manipulation to open
  the shadows. Despite its smaller grain, the noise
gives the negative
  film the contrary appearance.
  In my limited experience, the only negative film
that comes close to
  various positives (like Provia 100F, CT Precisa
100, RSX 100, etc.)
  in terms of rich image in tones is the Kodak RG50.
Too bad it became
  "obsolete". [Flame disclaimer: note that I don't
discuss other
  criteria like exposure latitude, colour linearity,
etc.; it's not
  the end of the world if I cannot capture all the
subject's details,
  to me a good picture should also suggest, not just
depict).

  Servus,  Alin

Jack wrote:
JD> I had a lab owner emphatically contend
that.."positive
JD> film of the same ISO has finer grain than
negative
JD> film". Didn't address b&w.
JD> We happened to be reviewing a b&w print at the
time
JD> and their existed a situation wherein the
subject
JD> couldn't be pursued (customers waiting).
JD> I've since emailed him for a follow-up on his
JD> recommendation that "b&w film be scanned as
positive
JD> film".
JD> If his answer (if received) is at all
decipherable,
JD> I'll forward it.
JD> Does anyone know or suspect what he may be
talking
JD> about?
JD> I've, also, read the RMS charts but, their
results

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:44:27 -0700
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

Who was gone, Cotty?

Shel

From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO: Tree Cuddles Lamppost

Hi!

Well, I finally got a digital, though it's a Optio S5i.  An *ist D, or
its successor, is still in my future, but we're spending a bit of money
on racing right now, so camera funds are scarce. :-)  In celebration of
finally getting a digital of some sort, here's my first PESO.

http://www.nutdriver.org/IMGP0038.html

Welcome to DigiWorld, Doug. I should say that this very photo leaves me indifferent. I neither dislike it nor really like it.

Although, somehow it seems to me you will be shooting much more now...

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:52:21 +0200
From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO: After School in Oxfordshire

Hi!

Ten years ago, we had a glorious four-month sabbatical
during which my wife and I worked in Oxford and lived
~30km south, in Faringdon.  Two years ago we returned
for a visit, which included the school my daughter
attended while we were there.  This was the
ever-so-English scene outside the school: uniformed
schoolboys playing football on a cool late-spring
afternoon.

PZ-1p, FA 24-90, Elite Chrome 100, exposure
unrecorded.  Slide scanned, and the scan tweaked in PS
Elements 2 until it matched the slide (a bit of work,
that).

Comments and critiques cordially invited.

Tea anyone?

Thanks for teaching me what is "ever-so-English" :).

I'd go for a cup of strong darjeeling (spelling)...

Pity you couldn't get closer. It almost works for me, but something is
still missing. It could be however, that what missing is that I never
visited England, except few quick connection waits in Hithrow...

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:51:45 -0400
From: "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Yellow Rumped Warbler

Paul, good catch. Only nit I have with this is the extraneous branch in the
ULH corner.

Kenneth Waller

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:55:09 +0200
From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO - Angel Hair

Hi!

An early morning walk is a most wonderful time to take the camera
along.  The lighting presents very nice possibilities.  In this case,
hazy backlighting helped to create the effect.

Pentax *istD, Tokina AT-X SD 400/5.6 ISO 800, 1/1500 sec @ f/6.7, handheld, manual focus

http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/bkd_1552a.htm

Converted from Raw to Tiff in Capture 1 LE and sized/sharpened for web
using BreezeBrowser.

Bruce, I am sorry to say that, but it reminds of me geometry in nature and fractals. It is beautiful, but in a very mathematical way, at least in my eyes... I mean that as a compliment, I really do :).

Now, we need to see who's strong, Paul Stenquist-the-handholder or Bruce
Dayton-the-Tokina-wielder :).

Isn't *istD lovely at 800 ISO? :)

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:57:14 +0200
From: Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO: Shy smile

Hi!

Another one from my recent trip to a village in Mexico:

http://www.g0nz.com/images/girlsmile.jpg

Tried it in B&W, and the color was so much better.

Comments welcome.

Indeed, in B&W the sparkle in her eyes would be so, well, colorless :).

Thanks for the lesson :).

Boris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 14:07:03 -0400
From: "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Nice capture Bruce.
If it were mine I'd crop it vertically to zero in more on the bird.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:45:20 +0200
From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kenneth Waller <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Great photo. Don't crop it, though! Uncropped it has just the right
balance of light and dark, of black and blue, of red and blue.
Cropping it further would IMNSHO ruin the photom make it just a boring
bird illustration. Why are there all the 'croppers on the list eludes
me ;-))

Frantisek

Good light! fra

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:46:01 -0700
From: Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kenneth Waller <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try that and see what I think.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:59:32 -0700
From: Jim Apilado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: inside Pentax *ist DS ...

I own three transparent Pentax bodies,  the SF1,  PZ10, and a 110 Pentax.
It would be cool if Pentax had made a transparent *ist D- and I could get
one.

Jim A.

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:47:27 -0700
To: PDML <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: inside Pentax *ist DS ...

This guy took the top cover off his DS to replace an eyepiece element
and provided a couple of pictures of the camera dismantled to this
point:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=13012591

enjoy,
Godfrey

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:52:17 +0200
From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Godfrey DiGiorgi <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

That's some wirey mess ;-) (seriously - not at all, you should see the
old Fujicas...)

That could be an incentive for list members to replace the plastic
eyepiece lens with a glass one, just like some did with PZ1p!

Good light!
          fra

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:54:28 +0200
From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Shel Belinkoff <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Saturday, April 9, 2005, 7:44:27 PM, Shel wrote:
SB> Who was gone, Cotty?

Exactly.

Good light!
          fra

End of pentax-discuss-d Digest V05 Issue #748