I would definitely reccommend  taking a 300mm f4.5 if you can, along with a teleconvertor for the animal shots. For Denali you can get a lot with a 70 - 210mm zoom. A 20mm or so wide angle is also very useful. If you don't take a long lens to Katmai you'll miss a lot. You don't need any more than a 300mm with a 1.4 convertor for Katmai.  At Katmai, meter the water and add 2 stops for the bears. At Katmai I  generally shoot E100 S pushed one stop. Bring more film than you think you'll use. Have a great time. Hope this helps.
Ken Waller
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 11:35 PM
Subject: Help! Last minute Alaska tips needed

Hi folks,

    Just found out I've got a couple weeks in Alaska coming up and was looking for a Pentax specific "read-out" on equipment suggestions and tips.   I'll have 3 nights at the Denali Backcountry Lodge (apparently at the end of the park road after a 5 hr bus ride).   In addition, I'll have a bit of time in Anchorage and hopefully 3 nights or so in Katmai.

I guess one question I have is should I bother with big, long glass with these travel plans (ie wildlife shots) or should I stick "normal lenses" for more landscape oriented shots?    Also, I'm primarily on my ZX-5n since I'm not comfortable with the reliability of my new used LX;  I've had good luck with the ZX-5n in wet/rainy conditions to date.

Any tips would be appreciated, as this is my first trip to Alaska,

Thanks in advance,

Ryan K. Brooks