On Apr 13, 2005, at 9:17 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

From the screen shots I've seen off Mac desk-tops most users seem to be running
a g1.8 desk-top (definitely not g2.2) so in Safari (or any non-CS aware
Browser) the sRGB formatted non-embedded files look quite anaemic.

So does Safari have an option to pre-set a default CS which would be
automatically applied to files sans embedded CS?

Gamma 1.8 is the Mac OS standard for monitor calibration, for better or worse.

Safari honors embedded colorspace profiles if they exist, otherwise renders relative to whatever colorspace profile the user has selected in the System Preferences->Displays (Color) tool. There are two sRGB profiles available there on my system, I believe one was installed by Photoshop.

If I choose the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" profile in System Preferences->Displays and then open Safari on your test page, the display of the sRGB images with and without profile match much more closely, while the ProPhoto image with embedded profile continues to match the sRGB with profile. The ProPhoto image without the embedded profile shows low saturation as expected.

Of course, by doing that I've chosen not to honor the monitor-specific calibration I generated with Eye One Display and print quality will go out of spec.

Godfrey