Hmm....seems that you were dealing with flat light in general.  I'd
have to see them side by side to decide which I liked better.  I don't
really like the direct on shot of this one.  Daffodils have shapes
that are good to show off.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

pcn> Here's another shot of the same daffodil I posted
pcn> previously. This one was shot without the flash. The light is
pcn> much more subtle. The camera angle is slightly changed and the
pcn> exposure is different, but everything else is the same: *istD and
pcn> Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 macro. I processed it at work on an
pcn> uncalibrated monitor, but I think it's pretty close to what I
pcn> would have done at home.

pcn> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3278916