OK, sorry, I read the thread but didn't absorb the correspondence very well
:-(

I wonder now if I've only ever seen a toned down second edition of "Fire
Eating Drummer".  If so I suspect that you've reduced the contrast globally,
and this has excessively flattened the highlight tonality.  It's a foible of
film that the highlights have less contrast than the midtones, because they
are 'rolling over' onto the shoulder.  If you reduce contrast to contain
extremes of exposure, or to limit the midtone contrast, the highlights can
get crushed.

Have you thought about adjusting curves across several layers.  In that
technique you work two layers at a time - the floating layer is optimised
for best midtones while the background layer is optimised for either
highlight or shadow separation of tones, letting everything else go to hell
because they'll be thrown away at the end.  You select the floating layer
and erase the problem areas to reveal the optimised areas underneath.  You
can repeat the process as often as you want by copying the original image
back in, making it the new background layer and then optimising it for the
part you want to correct next.

It's the digital version of dodging and burning multicontrast paper at
different grades.  If you haven't tried it you should give it a go.  It's
like magic to see the highlights and shadows fill up with details before
your eyes.

I could send you a 'quick & dirty' rework of your shot if you like, but I've
got no webspace to post it myself, and wouldn't put up an unauthorised
version of someone else's work, anyway.

regards,
Anthony Farr