On 4/18/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Frank ...
>
> Didn't see the original post.
>
> I'm of mixed feelings about this one.  My first comment is that the
> tonality is awful and really needs to be less contrasty and show some more
> detail, which I know is within the photo.

You know, I "opened it up" a bit, but ended up not touching the levels
at all.  It just "looked better to me" that way.  I kind of like the
contrasty look, maybe because I like the "PJ look" (as I think Paul
Stenquist called it WRT another of my flash portraits) for that kind
of candid portrait.

> I like the statement made by the background.  However, not showing Leah's
> eyes, her not looking wither at the camera, or at something, lessens the
> impact that this portrait could have had.  I like the potential, but not
> the execution or the final statement.  The background and the piercings are
> at odds with the posture, and if you wanted to show the softer side of
> Leah, I'm not sure that the background you chose does the best job.  I
> guess I feel an ambiguity ... which isn't a negative in and of itself, but
> I don't think it adds to the portrait.  My feeling about the ambiguity may
> change ...

Hmmmm...  I'm not sure what to say.  I was initially going to say that
I didn't "choose" either her posture or the background, but that would
be wrong.  Let's say that I reacted to what was there, and snapped
when it looked "right".  She didn't know that I had the camera on her,
and with the 135mm, I was maybe 15 feet away, in a crowded room.  I
had the camera on her for maybe 30 seconds, and when she looked down,
I felt it was the right time to snap.

So I guess I did choose, but I'm not sure how conscious I was about
why I thought (or felt) it was right.

It may be that the things I like about the photo are greatly
influenced by what I know of Leah, how she tries to present herself to
the world, and how different she seems in the photo.  But, those
things don't make a photo good or bad, I guess.

Thanks for some thought provoking insights, Shel.

cheers,
frank