I've compared the Canon EF28/1.8 and EF50/1.4 against the Pentax A28/2.8 and A50/1.4.

Results:
- Both Canon lenses do better at resolution and contrast wide open ... by f/5.6, differences pretty much disappear.

- Both Pentax lenses do better at out of focus rendering between wide open and two stops down in my opinion, although the Canon lenses certainly do well too.

Godfrey