On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:29:00PM -0300, Eduardo Carone Costa Júnior wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> All these comments about learning how to make better photos and light did
> encourage me to ask for your advice about this --- perhaps
> naive ---situation:
>
> Sometimes I try make a scene look a bit darker, I mean, like a sunset where
> you can only distinguish the contours of the subject in the foreground, and
> I set the exposure accordingly. At this time, I use only negative film, B&W
> or color, and I don't do my own developing or printing. When I take my films
> to the lab I usually end up with a grainny photo and the subject in the
> foreground is not as dark as I wanted it to be. I assume they are using the
> negative film's greater latitude than slide's to  compensate for the
> darker --- but on purpose --- exposure.
>
> Is there a kind of instruction I can give the lab to avoid this problem?
> Something like "don't compensate exposure"?

I guess it depends on how "profesional" your lab is.  In my experience, most
"consumer-grade" photolabs are reluctant to turn-off compensation, because, as some of
the have explained to me, some machines can't do it.  I, in my opinion, think that
that is one of the main advantages of printing your own black and white: you get
complete control and if anything goes wrong, it's only you to blame.  (Assuming that
the guys at Kodak, Ilford or wherever have done their job right.)

I've recently been trying slide film, partly because I don't have a darkroom at the
moment.  I don't like slides so much because I prefer prints (the physical
presentation as opposed to the film), but I do like the control you get.  But I think
I still miss black and white: I somehow can't "see" photographs in colour.

Frank.

--
Francis Tang, Postgraduate Research Student, LFCS, Edinburgh.
Visiting: AG14, Mathematik, TU Darmstadt, Deutschland.