Digital compares favorably with a good film image. No, in fact, a 6.1 megapixel digital image is better than almost any 35mm film image. That's true even with great scans and expert printing. As Herb notes, perhaps only Velvia can equal or better it. It quickly becomes obvious once you've worked with both for a considerable amount of time. However, my point was that most don't have access to scans and output systems that can even make it a close call. There's a reason why film is disappearing, and it's not just convenience. I saw some images yesterday from a Hassy with a digital back printed 20 x 30. They were shot by a highly regarded pro. I couldn't believe how crisp and finely detailed they were. I immediately asked if they were from large format. He smiled and said, You would think so, wouldn't you."
Paul
On Apr 30, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Sure it is Paul. Just because most people do it these days doesn't mean
the film image isn't being degraded substantially along the path of digital
output. Let's just forget about using good scanners and good equipment
for the time being, how difficult is it to get slide film properly
processed and then viewed through a good projector onto a good screen, as
transparencies were meant to be viewed?

What we have is the dumbing down of quality, pure and simple. And because
it's easier and cheaper to do things in such a way, it's become more
acceptable. What you seem to be saying is that digital compares favorably
with a degraded film image.

Shel

[Original Message]
From: Paul Stenquist

It's not bogus. Its a comparison of what is accessible to most
photographers working with a normal budget. I can get nice drum scans
of film images at the local pro lab -- for $150 a pop. Optical prints,
on the other hand, are almost extinct. It's hard to find a lab that
doesn't work from a scan. Yes, you can probably find them in San
Francisco or New York. But even here in Detroit, where a lot of working
pros produce a lot of commercial photography, optical printing is
pretty much a thing of the past. The results that the typical advanced
amateur can achieve with digital are better than the results he or she
can achieve with film. And we've only just begun.
Paul