I have no idea why my last reponse posted to PDML three times. I only sent it once.

On May 3, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:

You see, I wrote earlier that on infinity my soft lens would focus but wouldn't lock the focus, so in AF-S mode I wouldn't be able to release the shutter.

In AF-C mode, it would still focus, but since focus lock is not necessary to be able to release the shutter I could take a picture.

I think I'd find it easier and more consistent to just switch the camera to manual focus in those instances rather than C-AF. I only use C-AF when I'm trying to do follow focus at the motor races or similar circumstances, that's why it's not much of a loss to me. When I'm working around autofocus ambiguities, manual focus does the job.

.. I suppose we're trying to convence each other of the same thing we both accept. Your habits and style are best suited by Ds. Mine are in line with D. Neither is better or worse. Like I said, in my humble opinion, to my habits and style D appeals more, nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps. But either camera would work equally well for me; the DS is simpler, smaller, faster and cheaper. I don't like to see judgments about one or the other being 'a better tool for photography' which are insubstantive. They are both very good tools, and very nearly equal in capability.

I only hope that I expressed myself in a clear "user friendly" way :).

Certainly.

Godfrey