I listen to conversation amongst Leica M owners with $20-40K worth of the best glass in the world arguing over whether Wal Mart or Costco is worth going to for their photofinishing because one is a dollar cheaper than the other ... And I can produce even a 4x6 print with a crappy, consumer film scanner and a cheap inkjet printer that will outshine either.

A "perfectly good negative" is just the 'biomass' from which a fine print can be produced. How you choose to produce that print is up to you. There's no such thing as "producing a print directly" from the negative. Whether you prefer to live in a world of noxious, smelly, chemistry and use a second camera to turn it into a print vs working in a hard edged world of silicon dioxide based machines and render it in numbers and ink, you are duplicating the data encapsulated on that bit of plastic/gelatin/silver halide onto paper and putting it through a variety of transformations. How well you achieve that is a measure of your skill.

I chose to invest in learning digital scanning and processing when I still operated a traditional B&W darkroom process. I found I obtained better results, even with the new process in its infancy, and it was much more practical for me than the darkroom, so I stopped doing darkroom work. I have no animosity towards darkroom work.

Godfrey