On 15 May 2005 at 16:18, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> My labs give me exactly what I want.  My contention is that it seems just
> plain stupid in many cases to take a perfectly good negative, manipulate
> the hell out of it, put it through a number of processes that reduce or
> alter its qualities, and then fix the alterations caused by digitizing, in
> order to make a print that could have been made from the original negative.

So you think that printing a neg to paper using an enlarger doesn't do just
that? The fact is that the losses and distortions imparted on an electronic
image file in a well calibrated and accommodating editing environment (such as
a 16bit wide gamut work-space) are so negligible as to be insignificant in
print. Just like the inherent distortion in a good enlarging lens. I don't know
why you think the analogue system has inherent superiority, it's just longer
established and better understood by the majority, that's all.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998