Hi William
Ironically, I used the Online shop of Media Markt (Photolab Germany),
because only there I can set an option mark next to my uploads to let them
uncorrected and uncropped (with borders) by the lab :-(
In the shop, I have no option on the film ordering bag for that and I did
speak to the staff there. They told me that the lab "should" follow my
instructions ....
I do not know what DPI they use, I send photos for 20x30cm at 300dpi or
360dpi and the upload software tells me I can expect the "best quality" with
that. For example, it shows only "good" for 240dpi.

But, I can not understand why you can not tell a customer the *exact
dimensions* of a print and why there is such a big difference of up to 10%
in only one direction (length), is this such a science ?

On the other side:
Since I do some negative scans myself, I'm amazed how good the labs
sometimes work with faulty negatives on the prints.
Far better than I can with my very limited photo editing skills. That has to
be said too ;-)

thanks and greetings
Markus