> From: "Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/05/20 Fri AM 01:43:50 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: How to photograph animals in the dark?
>
> On 19 May 2005 at 9:29, mike.wilson wrote:
>
> > It turns out that there is a commmon specie of bat around here that is
> > comparitively solitary and does not register well on a bat detector.
>
> Sorry Mike I can't offer any first hand help but I really have to ask, are
> your
> bats called Eric and do you have a "bat detector van" ? :-)

The only Eric I know is Eric the half-a-bee.  At the moment, it's a very tired
Subaru Forester.

Thanks for the links.  There's a very useful one for a detector that uses LEDs
to show what frequencies are whizzing around.  At the moment we are using a
combination of heterodyne detectors that have to be tuned to the frequency.  In
practice, you can use a frequency that will pick up some noise from most bats
but you will likely miss the rarer or quieter (which is our present problem)
species.

It's beginning to look like using an infrared video camera will be the best
solution, even though it is going to add a lot of time to each job.  But we get
paid for our time, so....

mike
batty and knackered but looking at newts this weekend for a change

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
virus-checked by McAfee
visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information