With older cameras that have manual aperture control, I just turn the dial and
position it between the two spots. You can even do that in thirds with enough
accuracy for any practical application. With my *istD cameras and my LX I use
exposure compensation to split stops. Calculating numerical values doesn't seem
to serve any real purpose.
Paul