Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh!

I got some numbers wrong. :-(

See below.

Steve Jolly wrote:
Don Sanderson wrote:

How does one figure partial stop numbers?
For instance what stop is half way between 4 and 5.6?

4.76 :-)

And where does 4.76 fall?

Half way between 4 and 5.6 :-)

Or in other words, f4.76 is 1/4 of a stop slower than f4 and 1/4 of a stop faster than f5.6

Sorry, 1/2 a stop in both cases, not 1/4

This is a 2.8 lens with the
SMCP-F 1.7x converter.

Therefore the 1.7x converter introduces a 3/4 stop decrease in the effective aperture size.

And that should read "a 1.5 stop decrease".

The rest is correct.

I'm guessing there is a simple multiplier for this but
with my limited knowledge of math I have no clue
what it is.

It's "easy" - multiply by sqrt(2), or by sqrt(sqrt(2)), etc. Here's an example:

Halfway between f4 and f8 is f5.6
    4 * sqrt(2) = 5.6
    5.6 * sqrt(2) = 8

Halfway between f4 and f5.6 is f4.76
    4 * sqrt(sqrt(2)) = 4.76
    4.76 * sqrt(sqrt(2)) = 5.6

Spot the pattern? :-)

This is more out of curiosity than necessity.
Someone posted a link to this info but I can't find
it again.

Well, I haven't tried to explain it exhaustively, 'cos people complain when I do that... but I've answered your questions at least. ;-)