There's a neat little utility called Fcalc from a company called Tangentsoft
http://www.tangentsoft.net/
The version that runs under windows is free. It's worth downloading for help file, which contains the all the formulas used, alone. It includes an Fstop calculator The multiplier isn't particularly simple if you want accuracy.
Don Sanderson wrote:

How does one figure partial stop numbers?
For instance what stop is half way between 4 and 5.6?
And where does 4.76 fall? This is a 2.8 lens with the
SMCP-F 1.7x converter.
I'm guessing there is a simple multiplier for this but
with my limited knowledge of math I have no clue
what it is.
This is more out of curiosity than necessity.
Someone posted a link to this info but I can't find
it again.

TIA
Don

--
A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
                        --Groucho Marx